Position: Operations Manager
Since 1934, the Metropolitan Planning Council (“MPC”) has been dedicated to shaping a more equitable, sustainable and prosperous greater Chicago region. As an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization, MPC serves communities and residents by developing, promoting and implementing solutions for sound regional growth.
To meet its mission, MPC brings together businesses, communities and government to broker solutions to the area’s toughest planning and development challenges. MPC believes that every neighborhood has promise, that every community should be heard, that every person can thrive.
MPC seeks an Operations Manager who will report to the Chief Operations Officer and will have the following responsibilities:
The Operations Manager will be a key part of the organization and will help to implement the vision of the COO and Leadership Team. Reporting to the COO, the Operations Manager will assist in managing the day-to-day operations of the organization, including financial management, management of the office, human resources, and grants, including analysis and implementation of new organizational processes to improve quality, productivity and efficiency.
- Conduct bi-weekly payroll and remittance of payments to outside contractors
- Manage the funding of MPC retirement account contributions
- Work with benefit providers for monthly costs reconciliation
- Reconcile monthly staff time sheet and account classifications
- Prepare and upload monthly documentation surrounding month-close
- Work with the COO and Finance team to develop and track organization budgets
- Assist in IT depreciation and lifecycle analysis
- Work alongside admin for weekly processing and documentation of A/P
- Work with leadership and development to ensure grant compliance
- Other projects and tasks, as assigned
- Work with HR to serve as a point of contact for benefit administration
The successful candidate for the position of Operations Manager will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related area and +3 years professional experience in a related position.
- Demonstrated experience in organizational/resource development, personnel management, and financial/budget administration.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Quickbooks, data analysis and HRIS management, a plus.
- Experience Processing Payroll.
- Experience with Benefits Payment Management/Administration
- Strong commitment to the environment and community.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
A qualified candidate:
- Is able to communicate effectively, and work collaboratively with colleagues and multiple external vendor partners
- Be highly organized with attention to detail, patience, ability to work independently and coordinate multiple, diverse projects, set realistic deadlines, and manage a timeline
- Has excellent written and verbal skills.
- Is able to analyze the organizations needs and has strong prioritization skills
- Has experience communicating financial principals with programmatic colleagues.
- Possesses the willingness to learn and grow with the organization.
- Is a strong collaborator with stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Enjoys a fast-paced, challenging, intellectually-stimulating workplace.
- Experience with grant management is a plus.
- Experience working with diverse team members and stakeholders.
MPC has a values-driven workplace and we are seeking candidates with a demonstrated commitment to – and willingness to have active conversations about – creating a region that is:
- Equitable: For MPC, equity means that every individual and community in our region has the opportunities they need to thrive. Promotion equity means that we recognize the harm that discrimination and racism have caused and continue to pose to our lives and neighborhoods. That’s why we drive policies, investments and ideas that ensure all current and future residents can reach their full potential.
- Prosperous: For MPC, prosperity means that both the Northeastern Illinois region and all of its people are economically healthy and prepared for growth. MPC is focused on ensuring that everyone who lives and works in our region can provide for themselves and their families. We support commitments that bring resources, development, and fairly paid and quality jobs to all communities.
- Sustainable: For MPC, sustainability means that our region meets the natural, human and financial needs of the present while improving conditions for future generations. MPC’s agenda supports ecological vitality, residents’ health and economic stability for the long term, and ensures that as things change, our region adapts.
- Engaged and Responsible: For MPC, civic participation and effective government are cornerstones of our region’s viability. We drive policies that strengthen the participation and impact of residents in local and regional decisions. We also promote adaptive, collaborative, just and transparent governance at all levels.
No phone calls please.
For more information on MPC, please visit our website: www.metroplanning.org
MPC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.